Forum Index

*** FORUM CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF TIME, SORRY! - zinger :( ***

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software OPL sound

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45    Post subject: Software OPL sound Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a question/idea...

As I understand, the OPL chip had to be "programmed" in real time by the game as to make music.

Is it possible to somehow use this "code" to automatically program an FM soft synth, such as NI FM7? I mean, is there something that exists, or could be made to do that?

So as to have the sound in full quality on modern hardware, exactly as intended.

So far, I haven't found a good (ie. any) stand-alone emulator. ANd most emulators are too technical, and less musical, anyway. (I like the STEem Atari ST emulator - that s*** can make music - but no OPL. But it does have some kind of synthesizer - anyone?).

On the other side of the things, I still have the Pentium MMX with AWE32, and can boot it to play some games. But, it's not gonna live forever (although, it is 15 years in my possession, and hardware hasn't been changed for as long).

Cheers
felineki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM7 and other various software FM synths don't seem to have all of the waveforms that OPL had. It would be nice if there was a dedicated OPL VSTi like VOPM, but as far as I know no one has made one yet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Computers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: