Forum Index

*** FORUM CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF TIME, SORRY! - zinger :( ***

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Beauty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Racks and Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kid versus chemical said. I'm also really excited about FM + PSG.
Malfunction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid versus chemical wrote:
It depends on how much extra development is involved in adding them. If it added on an extra 6 months/year to release I would say no. Also if it made it a lot more expensive that would suck.

In the same price - about 100EUR I hope Smile And there is no big difference in development time for us.

Quote:

So my opinion is a big yes to 1-3, especially the the SAA1099 (1 is probably enough tho) and the YM2151, as long as it doesnt push back release or increase price by alot.

SAA1099 is really not expensive, so we want to solder TWO of them for DosBox's GameBlaster compatybility Smile And for musicians - it will be 12 channels of squarish stereo sound Very Happy

Right now I'm on the way of importing big amount of needed sound LSIs for reasonable price.

There will be also Daughterboard connector for future cards. The first planned card will be 8 channel ADPCM/PCM replayer (YMZ280B with SRAM) + AY8930 with additional lowpass filter circuit.
AFAIK - AY8930's EPSG sound will be something really new on the scene - much more interesting than standard SSG - especially driven through resonant filter. I'm buying LSIs for that now, but It will be released later - after FMB.
Malfunction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but when someone would like to make his own daughtercard (videocard? or maybe NES APU?) I'll not blame him Wink
Stefan_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get AY8930 from? There was some plans to test them in Atari ST but no chips was found Sad
Malfunction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

From China Very Happy
Stefan_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send one to me? Smile
nim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:18    Post subject: SCREAMING!!! Reply with quote

I agree.. 1-3. I'd pay double (if I could..) if I had to for OPM :) (but I must say I'm already impressed beyond the ascii table)

as for PCM I have no specific wishes.. having too many channels would probably be negative rather than positive for my use cases though.. (I couldn't discipline myself not to use another.. oh.. and just one more.. oh what the heck.. why not use them all? etc :p)
(might be boring if it became common in "the fmb scene" to put choir, piano, guitar or even slap bass in PCM instead of FM etc.. so if it were a question I'd even vote for no sample-looping and no pitch controll for PCM just to give myself a healthy feeling of constraint)

I wouldn't need two of anything either but it sertainly makes sense since you have some standard like gameblaster in mind :)

that text to speech.. is it the soundgenerator? or a controller for controlling fm chip to do speech? (like opm fm voice? or is that all software controlled?)
if it's the soundgenerator itself I can live without it if it sounds like the usual stuff (but if it's that speech synthesis that yamaha uses for their recent smaf lsi's (MA-5?) it might be rather cool :) but still a ploy unless it's greatly customizable (guess not?)..)

(note to self: try to put FMB out of mind when opening christmas presents this year...)

(I'm so gonna bug my friends who do electronics projects and have discussed making simple videocard to make something for FMB :p)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Malfunction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan_L wrote:
Can you send one to me? Smile

AY8930 will be bought in 3rd ride (first one is YMF297 and SAA1099) Smile

But I'll keep one for U for sure as soon as I'll have those beauties here - in Warsaw Very Happy
TmEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much control does the software (PC program and user program running on MDT) over the sound chips ? And is there YM2612 (or compatible) ? I'm actually pretty seriously thinking on supporting FMB in MDT. I can probably adapt my MD sound engine to FMB since it uses Z80 and I just have to modify existing code. But will it be possible for a DOS program to control the device(it uses USB...), I don't know... Windows version of my tracker is not planned in near future (though one person is slowly making one for Win that is compatible with mine, he said its 1% done).
Malfunction

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that TmEE!!!

There will be windows driver with virtual ports for USB as well as direct ports access by System Bus Port (DB36 or similar), for connection with older computers or own hobby projects Smile

There will be YMF297 OPN3 chip (YMF262 OPL3 + YMF288 OPN3-L). So - it is hardware compatible with YM2612 except DAC mode for 6th channel. All register access to that mode/register will be rewired to 8-bit DAC onboard FMB, so it will be compatible with that mode. The only difference is PSG - there will be no SN76489-like chip, but one can wrapp it on SAA1099 or SSG, or emulate by EZ80 50MHz Smile
TmEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the lack of SN76489 PSG is no problem, if there's a PSG that can do the "almost" squares like SN76489(and there is) as I can adapt the code to use different chip easily.
tinctu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news???

Last edited by tinctu on Mon Dec 24, 2007 13:12; edited 1 time in total
Malfunction

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just make order for 100xYMF297, 100xYM2151 and 200xSAA1099. And I've order samples (5 pieces each) of YMZ705, YMZ280B and AY8930 Smile
It should be delivered till New Year Very Happy
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfunction wrote:
I've just make order for 100xYMF297, 100xYM2151 and 200xSAA1099. And I've order samples (5 pieces each) of YMZ705, YMZ280B and AY8930 Smile
It should be delivered till New Year Very Happy

Awesome, happy new year! Very Happy
tinctu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome news...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Racks and Modules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: