Forum Index

*** FORUM CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF TIME, SORRY! - zinger :( ***

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Beauty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Racks and Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyl

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's FAR too soon to be talking about the enclosure, too.
First the hardware needs to be at least in working prototype stage, then the driver software (at the very least fmb-virtual-port-drivers for win/linux/mac) needs to be written and then, after we got the various interfaces to various software (dosbox-patches; vst etc.) finished, then we can adress further details. Just my 2 cents. ;P
Malfunction

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 20:18    Post subject: http://www.soundshock.se/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=reply&t Reply with quote

It's time for info update - cut out from our internal documenatation:

PORTS and SIGNAL FLOW:
- standard opto-isolated MIDI port (Midi IN/Midi OUT)
- four 8-bit R-2R DAC's located in EZ80 address space (L,L,R,R)
- four channels of PWM OUT (L,L,R,R)
* theoretically 16 bit precision - must me tested in practice

- analogue volume control chip (x2) (6 inputs for LEFT channel, 6 inputs for RIGHT channel)

- four external analogue inputs to mixer (2 inputs for each channel [L,R] ) (RCA type)

- two analogue output (L,R) (RCA type)
* on L channel: DAC#1, DAC#2, PWM#1, PWM#2, EXT#1, EXT#2 is mixed together
* on R channel: DAC#3, DAC#4, PWM#3, PWM#4, EXT#3, EXT#4 is mixed together

IN PROGRESS:
- making PCB of the Sound Chips PCB, some slight schematics modifications needed
- making modifications of FMB logic board due to scheme changes after some prototyping problems.

Whole FM-Beauty is EZ80F91 50MHz driven. It's like ZX Spectrum's Z80 clocked at 150MHz.

From the software aspect - I assume one VSTi for each soundchip/subsystem:

1) YMF297's OPL3 subsystem (18 channels of 2-op)
2) YMF297's OPN3-L FM subsystem (6 channels of 4-op)
3) YMF297's OPN3-L PSG subsystem (3 channels of YM2149F mono)
4) YM2151 OPM subsystem (8 channels of 4-op)
5) 2xSAA1099 subsystem (12 channels of SAA)
6) YMZ705's PSG subsystem (6 channels of YM2149F stereo)

VSTi can decrease number of channels (multitimbral) in sake of effect - like echo and/or chorus. VSTi will play delayed channels with slightly detuned notes and different volumes and delays. To be precised but you will know the overall idea Smile

additionally we want to make TR-909 like RHYTHM VSTi:
- it will work on YMZ705's ADPCM subsystem plus YMF297's RHYTHM subsystem plus layered other chip - te be discussed if those two YM2149F internal or for example YM2151...

Any ideas about what do U want in VSTi? Smile I assume LFO and Envelope that could be connected to most of the registers. Still dunno if there should be AdT2-like macrodefinition system - isn't it too sophisticated for most of the VSTi users? I'm not sure - so another point for discussion.

We'd like to start development of VSTi while working on FM-Beauty prototype. Any ideas are more than welcome Smile
nim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

update! xD wonderful! haven't forgotten about FMB for a second!

Are you saying you guys plan to have a complete software solution for running the FMB (vsti etc) before you release the hardware? (albeit I guess not 1.0-ish but still?)

I'd love a macrosystem for detailed precision.
I'm not a fan of "typical midi-style" with smooth and simple envelopes and no low level control. So from a VSTi I guess I'd want to be able to do what you can do with adt2 (not necessarily in the same way ofcourse)...
So it would be cool with a nice level of abstraction in the controls (so use same commands cross-chip when possible and equivalent, etc..) in a VSTi (or other) for all chips in one... but when you want, go low-level and per-chip specific precision control :)

Would be great with a code-base solving such abstraction in C++ templatisation and some sane level of polymorphism? Would make it very neat and ordered and the common traits and differences of the chips would be overviewable simply in the code.. possible differences in the way the same thing is programmatically achieved on different chips could be hidden to the user (3rd party user?) of the code base by a level of abstraction etc..

If I may vote I'd wish that you write the fundamental drivers and an API/lib with which anyone (who knows how to) can write VSTis or DXis or RTASs or trackers that use more direct (than midi) controll or whatever (all using the same functionality from the API)... but that's just me :) (I'm a very non-hardcore coder but I'd love to use my knowledge (which may suffice to write the GUI and application part) to write a tracker using the FMB :))
Might be a bit big a project though perhaps? to write a 3rd-party-usable, extensive and possibly platform-independent API? :/ but would rock :)

heh.. Well but for a first stage, a VSTi per chip/subsystem with level of control like in adt2 would make me dance anyways :)

Keep it up! drool-mode resumed!

Last edited by nim on Mon Jul 21, 2008 01:00; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madbrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd think a 6 channel layered OPL3(4op)+OPN3-L+OPM VST might be interestingly creamy.
Malfunction

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about layered modes:

1) Wide FM - 6 channels of OPN3 + 18 (2op) channels of OPL3 (3 channels of OPL3 per one OPN3)
2) Fat FM - 6 channels of OPN3 + 6 (4op) channels of OPL3 + 6 (2op) channels of OPL3

Layering 2xAY and 2xSAA could be possible too, but maybe it's too overhelming for user to make such a complicated timbres Wink

OPM has 8 channels - so it's not layering well with 6-channel based system - I mean it is waste Smile

However - it is possible to layer SYNDER on OPM. AFAIK - there will be SYNDER for FM-Beauty, uploadable as UserWare and playing at 8 channels Smile

I was thinking about extensive usage of YMZ705's ADPCM part - it's 8 channels of samples. Unfortunately it has only different 4 frequencies, but for drums and drum loops it's ok. And it's possible to precalculate 12 notes and use it as different instruments. With overall 64 instuments - you will get 5 fullscale musical instruments + 4 drum instruments Smile
tinctu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome FMB news!I like VSTi and Tracker idea both.With VSTi I can use FM,PSG and DAC samples plus some VSTfx as reverb for PC samples.On other side will be nice to have oldschool style tracker too.So maybe first make VSTi for trackers like Renoise.Than later brand new tracker FMBTracker for Win,OSX and Linux.

Www.Tinctu.Com
Www.Myspace.Com/Tinctu

nim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to use FMB with a tracker on my future pandora if you know what I mean ;-P
Malfunction

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it will have USB - and one could write a driver and tracker for that - I don't see a problem.

To be honest - when FMB will have gfx-card (with SD port) - it will be capable of run tracker on itself Smile

But first - FM-Beauty.

Any ideas about software solutions for that hardware? I'd like to make software rather tailored to needs than my-sick-mind-idea Smile
tinctu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 06:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIM:
What about 10" MSI Wind Subnotebook and FM-Beauty combination???

Www.Tinctu.Com
Www.Myspace.Com/Tinctu

Malfunction

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very short FM-Beauty Status summary (1st prototype for development):

- whole FM-Beauty v0.1 plan is ready and locked Smile
- digital PCB (CPU, memory, ports) scheme is done (waiting for 4-layer PCB production)
- analog PCB (soundchips + audio routing) scheme is on the way
- works on first VSTi are on the way
- I'm ordering 100 pieces of YM3012 (DAC for YM2151) now

- I'm searching for a company which is making 4-layer PCBs right now Smile
- I'm searching for a company which is making cheap 1U 19" metal rack case

I'm putting that info to ensure you guys that we are working and not giving up, so if you have any questions - just shoot - I'll try to answer Smile
tinctu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MALFUNCTION:
I am selling all my videogames exept - two GAMEBOYS.
Haha I do my money reserve for that 2xFM-Babes.
I think 19" 1U will be best.It will be standard studio rack setup compatible and still enough place for update-cartriges.But keep them slim.Keep them 1U.

Www.Tinctu.Com
Www.Myspace.Com/Tinctu

Akir Ikasu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Malfunction; what do you think the final price of the FMB is going to be?
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

From earlier in the thread (September 2007):

Malfunction wrote:
The price of that external synthesizer will be about 100EUR - to be available for many people.)

Please read before asking questions. Saves me, Malfunction or any other helpful forum member some time.
tinctu

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be more. I think 200-250Euro becouse Malfunction wants to put FM-B card into nice and professional rackmount case (info from chat with MLF). But He knows more real price. My one is just appreciation.

Www.Tinctu.Com
Www.Myspace.Com/Tinctu

Stefan_L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does FM Beauty have an website with info on progress?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Racks and Modules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: